What is it about being older that interrupts our sleep-style?
And is that indeed what it comes from–is it this a “getting older thing” ?
I know that a late-night wine habit can play a part in the mid-night wake-up.
And many evenings, I decide that it’s worth the risk, placing a glass of water near my bed for the dry-mouth that often follows. Dehydration is the factor there–so drinking a full glass of water pre-sleep, often seems to help.
But on those nights when I do not indulge, I often find myself eluded by the sandman (sand person?), revved up and ready to–do what?
If I start a project late in the evening or even read something engaging, or play WORD on my app, I’m doomed to a racing mind and a dozen quick looks at the clock to see how much sleep that I’m missing.
What’s a boomer to do?
- Relaxing soak in an epsom salts bath before bed-time
- Yoga and muscle relaxation to soothe my mind
- T.V.–oft times boring enough to put me to sleep
- Relaxing herbal tea: camomile; all mints but peppermint–which is a stimulant;
- Hot toddy–just 1 : little whisly, little honey, and lemon in hot water
- Tell my body that I’m “letting go” and build a habit of progressive relaxation as I talk myself up from toe-to-head (or vise versa)
- Quit worrying about it and “get up”, taking a nap later to revamp, even having coffee as if I’m starting the day anew
What about you?
Something to add?